I will admit, I just (finally) learned how to make a flaky pie crust, but when I did, man did I get into a pie kick. Over just a few days, I made a bunch of things that needed pie dough. We made mini apple pies, tomato pies, and chicken pot pie with a cheat recipe that turned out to be my favorite.
However in order to do all of this we needed to learn to make pie dough.
To do this you should use a food processor, but all I had was my refurbished Kitchenaid stand mixer but we made it work.
Making Pie Crust
- 2 1/2 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 1/2 sticks of butter (unsalted)
- 1/4 cup of ice water
- Slice butter into small pats and put back in the refrigerator to chill
- Mix dry ingredients into food processor
- Add chilled butter and process until the mix is combined and crumbly
- Add ice water and process into dough
- Remove dough and shape into a solid mass – don’t knead it
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap (or beeswax cloth)
- Let rest in refrigerator for an hour
That is all there is to it.